I'm getting to the end of my prototyping phase; here's how I've been getting on this week.
I made great progress this week; it feels as though I am over the hump with my project. The web app at the centre of my proposed activity/exercise service for MSKCC is now functionally complete - save for a few tweaks. It's absolutely a minimal viable product, it does just enough to be useful and act as a platform for criticism and testing. (It has been very hard to resist the urge to add more features).
A web application is not a service. Even though I've built this with real people in mind, people I met and interviewed during my research, I still have to put in place other things that would be necessary for this to be adopted as a real service - a timeline, coaching/training material for staff, help documentation etc.
I also have to establish exactly what hurdles exist that would need to be overcome before the service would launch - such as further testing, a security audit etc. At the end of the day it's highly likely that for this to be used in a real context, with patients, an experienced developer would need to help out - but that is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned.
So, I'm moving into a final phase - finishing out the look and feel of the web application, making supporting materials and writing up.
And like that, it'll be Summer.